Thursday 20 September 2012

Hospitalized


Thus far, Faith has been hospitalized once. She was admitted to Alberta Children's Hospital on July 13, 2012 for Bronchiolitis. She had been stuffed up for a few days so I decided to call her nurses. They suggested I bring her in just to check her out and see if she needed any medication. Brandon was on the road for a baseball trip, but my grandmom and Aunt were in town so I left Kaylee with them and headed to the hospital. Once there they took a listen to her lungs and decided to admit her. At the moment I remember being so scared and not sure what this meant for Faith. They took me to the unit where Faith would be staying and got Faith hooked up to all the monitors. They put her in isolation due to her CF (everyone that entered the room had to wear scrubs and masks) She looked so small in that hospital bed and had fear in her eyes. I felt awful, but knew it was the best place for her to be. I left her there with the doctors to rush home and pack a bag and grab Kaylee. I had no idea how long she would be staying in the hospital for so I threw a bunch of stuff in a bag. I said goodbye to my grandmom and Aunt as they were leaving first thing in the morning. I called Brandon and shared the news with him and he was devastated. It was so hard for him to be on the road and he felt helpless. I promised him I would keep him up to date with any news. I jumped back in the car and headed to the hospital. At that point I couldn't hold back anymore and cried my eyes out. I was scared for Faith and just wanted her to be ok. We arrived back at the hospital and went up to the room. Faith was sleeping. They had given her some Tylenol as she was running a fever. They brought in a bassinet for Kaylee as well. I held Kaylee in my arms and sat next to the bed with Faith and held her hand. I was beyond tired and stressed, but didn't have any options. Luckily my dear friend Angie had heard what was going on and came to the hospital. I was shocked when I saw her, but more than anything so thankful she was there. She sat with the girls and let me sleep for awhile. After a bit we decided for her to take Kaylee home with her so I could focus all my attention on Faith. I was so relived to have help and to this day cannot thank her enough. So they packed up Kaylee's stuff and off they went. I sat with Faith through the night and didn't get much sleep. I just held her hand and sang to her. The next morning the doctors came in to do an assessment. She had broken her fever and they decided she could go home on a Ventolin machine. Ventolin is an inhaler that blows air into the lungs to help move things more easily. She was to take this every 4 hours for 24 hours. They also did a suction of her nose to test for any viruses. In order to do this they stick a tube in her nose that goes down the back of her throat. I did not watch this as I could not handle to look. She screamed her head off but was a real trooper.
   We packed up all of our stuff and waited for Angie to come back with the car and Kaylee before we left. Once she arrived we headed to the car and went back home. Faith did really well at home and seemed like she was feeling much better. The CF Clinic saw her the next week and listened to her lungs. They were very pleased at what they heard. Her results from the swab also came back normal. All was such a relief to hear and I was excited to not be in the hospital anymore. I was thankful we only had to stay one night. I know there will be other times she has to be admitted, but we are hoping to keep those few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment